Monday 14 May 2012

Taiwan Red Jade 2011


Name; Taiwan Red Jade 2011
Type; Black, Taiwan, Nantou, Sun Moon Lake
Price;
£ 20.50 for 50 grams from Jing.
http://jingtea.com/tea/type/black/taiwan-red-jade

“Taiwan Hong Yu Hong Cha


Exceptionally fresh black tea from Nantou in Taiwan. Red Jade Black Tea delivers the concentrated sweetness and depth of baked fruit with uplifting eucalyptus aroma.
Infuse: 1½ tbsp of boiling water for 3 minutes
Appearance: Large brown twists of leaf.
Infusion: Deep auburn-red with a faint green edge
Aroma: Fresh eucalyptus combines with rich notes of baked fruit.
Taste: Full bodied and rounded with rich notes of caramel and hint of mint.”

Review; Beware reader(s) we’re heading into unknown territory.  I must confess this is the first black tea from Taiwan that I have tasted.  The appearance is so light that at first I thought it might just be an oxidized oolong.  I went to a tea tasting the other night, and contrary to one the inexperienced staff, black tea is not the most common form of tea.  Taiwan specializes in Oolong, and Greens.  Not blacks.  These be dangerous waters were in.


Again from Jing.  And thankfully Jing does do 10g packets (but still makes a mint off of you/me the customer), £ 20.50 for 50 grams of tea??  This is rivaling the price of some very nice Darjeelings (and at least there I can pretend I am drinking the champagne of teas). 

The dry leaves have a beautiful long leaf twirled appearance to them.  Very elegant and I am happy to see survived the journey from Taiwan to England, and from England in the postal service.  The dry leaves have a nice aroma to them, and remind me of sultanas.  Not that muscatel note, but more of the sweet prunish nature.  As I put the leaves in the pot, my first aroma that comes to mind is an assam/maltyness.  I’m presuming this is what Jing calls caramel.  But to me is distinctly malty.  I also detect maraschino cherries next, and lastly as the tea verges on over-brewing I get that wintergreen essence that one gets from a Ceylon.  (I guess this is also similar to the Eucalyptus taste in ceylons so maybe I just haven’t chewed on enough eucalyptus trees.)

All in all, and I hate to say this before I taste it, but this Taiwanese tea is smelling exactly like a nice OP1 ceylon to me.  Which isn’t really a good thing for Taiwan especially when Jing is making customers pay 20 pounds for 50 grams. 
Tasting the tea, it’s a bit soft.  Mild.  None of the previous described aromas are dominant really.  No astringency, and little bitterness its more or less a pleasant tea.  Maybe there is a hint of nuttyness to it, which would lead to the terroir of Taiwan, but all in all this is actually disappointing. 

I hate to sound like a tea snob (who am I kidding, I love sounding like a tea snob), but if I wanted to pay this much for a tea, I’d save my money, and buy a nice Ceylon tea and still probably have 10 pounds left over. 

Enjoy or Don’t, guess it depends on how much you love Taiwan, or how much money is in your bank account.

Taiwan my advice?  Stick to what you do best, Oolongs.  The world needs more good oolongs.

-Tea Fan




3 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I've currently got some 2011 Sun Moon Lake from Essence of Tea (based in Cornwall) which is much more reasonably priced than the Jing offering...

    http://www.essenceoftea.co.uk/tea/other-teas/red-tea/2011-sun-moon-lake-red-tea.html

    You might already be familiar with EOT but if not I highly recommend them, particularly if you like aged Pu and Wuyi Yancha.

    All the Best,

    Jack :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool thanks!

    Yep their next on my to review list, heard about them from http://half-dipper.blogspot.co.uk/.. Maybe I will go ahead and place my order.

    Wuyi teas seem to have become incredibly popular recently! I must confess that I always feel a little intimidated by the complexity of many Chinese (and Taiwanese) teas.

    What was your thoughts on this tea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I certainly thought the EOT offering was interesting, some intriguing vegetal and woody notes that I've not experienced in Chinese reds before, and a lot less sweet than most Yunnan hong cha which is what I mostly drink.

    To be honest I try not to get too bogged down in trying to describe all the complexities and flavours of Chinese tea, and every tea I taste I feel teaches me something new. There is so much more to tea than just flavors anyhow, and sometimes I like to just enjoy the moment and think about how a particular tea is making me feel while I drink it.

    If you've not already, check out Tea Masters blog, I think he really captures the experience of drinking Chinese and Taiwanese tea beautifully!

    http://teamasters.blogspot.co.uk/

    Best,

    Jack

    ReplyDelete