Monday 23 April 2012

Cinnamon Anise Rooibos 2011



Name; Cinnamon Anise Rooibos

Type; Infusion, Rooibos (South Africa) along with Cinnamon, Star Anise, and Jasmine Blossoms

Price;
£ 1.50 for 50 grams from Anteaques.

http://anteaques.co.uk/infusions/cinnamonaniserooibos

“The subtle sweetness of cinnamon, the floral notes of jasmine blossoms and the gentle spiciness of star anise are blended together with the rich honey tones of rooibos. A smooth blend which can be enjoyed all day and late into the evening.

Each flavour is wonderfully balanced with the rich and mellow rooibos base. Naturally caffeine free and low in tannins, this is a heavenly infusion, both purifying and lush.

Review; Its not often that I review rooibos, or flavoured “teas” for that matter. But Cinnamon Anise Rooibos has been on my “to review” list for too long. I don’t really like rooibos, its…blah. I drink it when I want something warming, without the caffeine (I have a very low caffeine tolerance…which when I get around to reviewing Matcha will provide evidence of). That being said rooibos has some very interesting characteristics to it. This malty honey flavour that is almost a bit like Mead and a fruit juice mixed.

Add cinnamon, anise, and jasmine blossoms and you get a bizarre mixture. I wouldn’t say its possible to detect the jasmine blossoms on their own, which is what really adds to this blend, but provides this floral background to providing the harmony of the other spices. Sweet, and yet still spicy, reminds me of an oriental night with a cool breeze. Its very pleasant and impossible to over brew, which leads to a guilty pleasure of mine. Cooking with tea. I know I’m not the first to do this by a long shot, but cooking with the liquid tea I find quite pleasurable. Rooibos I find goes wonderful with a wholemeal loaf with a couple spoonfuls of honey, or instead of boiling rice in water, boil it in a green tea infused with jasmine blossoms.

And over the summer, I shall be doing over brewed Jasmine teas mixed with gin!

Enjoy!

-Tea Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment